Who is Optibac For Those On Antibiotics for?
For anyone looking to buy a natural friendly bacteria supplement to take alongside a course of antibiotics.
- The three strains contained in this supplement are very well researched and have been clinically trialled alongside antibiotics
- Each capsule provides 4.5 billion good bacteria and the billions count is guaranteed until end of expiry
- With strains scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut, even when taken with antibiotics
- Complements the flora naturally present in your gut
- Easy to take on the go – no refrigeration required
- Suitable from 1 year onwards. For those unable to swallow capsules, open and mix contents with cool drink/food
- Recommended for daily use over the course of 10 days alongside a typical course of antibiotics
- Can be used on an ongoing basis for those on long term antibiotics
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus Rosell-11 & Lactobacillus acidophilus Rosell-52 have been shown to increase immune cell activity
- Suitable for: women during pregnancy, vegans, vegetarians and gluten free for those with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance
- Free from artificial flavourings or colourings that may be found in other food & drinks containing live cultures
- Update April 2021: now also with Bifidobacterium lactis Lafti B94 and providing 4.5 billion live cultures per capsule (previously 4 billion)
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Available in one pack size of 10 capsules – serving size: one capsule a day.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc (Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
Can I take live cultures with antibiotics?
Yes, it is absolutely fine, and advisable to take a friendly bacteria supplement whilst on antibiotics. When prescribed antibiotics, many individuals now choose to supplement their natural bacteria with a live cultures supplement. However, it’s best to select strains that have been extensively researched alongside this type of medication.
Which friendly bacteria are best to take with antibiotics?
It’s important to choose friendly bacteria strains that have been trialled alongside antibiotics and shown to reach the gut alive. Strains in For Those On Antibiotics have been shown to do so in numerous clinical trials, even when taken at the exact same time as antibiotic medication1. The strains in this supplement have been trialled at various life stages including in children2,3 and can be taken during long or short courses of antibiotics.
When should I take live cultures with antibiotics?
Like most of our range, we recommend that For Those On Antibiotics, should be taken at breakfast time. It’s fine to take this supplement with breakfast and alongside your antibiotics at the same time. If you take your antibiotics at a different time of day, then still take For Those On Antibiotics with breakfast. If you choose to take a different live cultures supplement, then note that it may be necessary to leave a two-hour gap from your medication dose. Ideally however, it’s best to take strains such as Lactobacillus acidophilus/helveticus Rosell-52, Lactobacillus rhamnosus Rosell-11 and Bifidobacterium lactis Lafti B94 which can be taken at the same time as your medicine.
How do friendly bacteria help with antibiotics?
When the correct strains are taken, friendly bacteria can support you whilst on the antibiotic medication4. It’s best to start taking For Those On Antibiotics right away at the start of your course but don’t worry if you miss a day or so at the beginning, just continue until the pack is complete. Many people like to continue taking live cultures once they have finished their course of medication, to maintain their support of the gut microbiome.