Laxido Orange Sachets are used to treat constipation and faecal impaction (build-up of faeces caused by long-term constipation). It contains the active ingredient Macrogol 3350 which is a laxative treatment that softens faeces, making it easier to pass and relieving symptoms of constipation. It is also formulated with electrolytes to help maintain your body’s normal levels of sodium, potassium and water whilst your constipation is being treated.
What causes constipation?
Constipation is a common problem and affects people of all ages. It can usually be treated at home and isn’t often a serious issue. Symptoms of being constipated include:
- Not passing a stool (poo) at least 3 times in a week
- Stools are often difficult to push out and larger than usual
- Stools are often dry, hard or lumpy
- Stomach ache or feeling sick
Constipation has many possible causes and sometimes there is no obvious reason, but the most common causes include:
- Not eating enough fibre- such as fruit, vegetables and cereals
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not moving enough and spending long periods sitting or lying in bed
- Being less active and not exercising
- Often ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
- Changing your diet or daily routine
- A side effect of a medicine
- Stress, anxiety or depression
- Common during pregnancy and for 6 weeks after giving birth
- Caused by a medical condition (rare cases)
Long-term constipation can lead to a condition called faecal impaction, which is where faeces (poo) has built up in your rectum. The main symptom of this is diarrhoea after a long bout of constipation.
How does Laxido work?
Laxido contains the active ingredient Macrogol 3350 which softens hard faeces by absorbing water into the stool, making them easier to pass and giving you relief from constipation. It can also be used before a colonoscopy (a test to check inside your bowels) to empty your bowels before the test. This medicine is in the form of a powder that is dissolved in water before taking orally (by mouth) for easy and convenient administration. This medicine also contains the electrolytes, sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen carbonate and potassium chloride to maintain your normal levels of sodium, potassium and water whilst you are treating your symptoms of constipation.
How long does it take for Laxido Orange to work?
Laxido can take between 1 and 2 days to work as this is how long it takes the active ingredient, Macrogol 3350, to soften your faeces to allow it to be passed more easily.