What Betamethasone/Neomycin Cream and what it is used for
Betamethasone/Neomycin Cream contains two different medicines called betamethasone valerate and
- Betamethasone valerate belongs to a group of medicines called steroids. It helps to reduce swelling and irritation.
- Neomycin sulphate is a type of anti-infective medicine. It fights bacterial infections of the skin.
This medicine is used to help reduce the redness and itchiness of certain skin problems. These skin problems include eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis or insect bites, where an infection may be a problem.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Betamethasone/Neomycin Ointment if:
- you are applying the cream under an airtight dressing, including a child’s nappy. These dressings make it easier for the active ingredient to pass through the skin. It is possible to accidentally end up using too much cream
- You have psoriasis, your doctor will want to see you more often
- You have kidney problems; your doctor may decide to change the amount or number of times you apply the cream.
- Do not smoke or go near naked flames – risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard.
- Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it.
- If you are not sure if any of the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine.
STOP using this medicine and tell your doctor as soon as possible if:
- you find that your skin problem gets worse or becomes swollen during treatment. You may be allergic to the ointment or need other treatment.
Other side effects you may notice when using Betamethasone/Neomycin Cream include:
- a feeling of burning, irritation or itching where the ointment is applied
- if you have psoriasis you may get raised bumps with pus under the skin. This can happen during or after the treatment and is known as pustular psoriasis.
What Betamethasone/Neomycin Ointment contains
- The active substances are betamethasone valerate and neomycin sulphate. Each 1 g contains 1 mg of betamethasone (0.1% w/w) as valerate and 5 mg of neomycin sulphate (0.5% w/w).
- The other ingredients are: liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin.
See patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different brands have different other ingredients.