About dexamethasone with antibacterial ear spray
|Type of medicine
||Anti-inflammatory and anti-infective ear spray
||Inflammation and infection of the outer parts of the ear (otitis externa)
Otitis externa is a term used for inflammation in the ear when it is confined to the ear canal and does not go further than the eardrum. It is usually due to an infection. If you get things like water, shampoo or soap in an ear then it can cause itching. If you then scratch or poke your ear, this can damage the skin in the ear canal and cause inflammation. The inflamed skin can then quickly become infected.
The brand name for dexamethasone with antibacterial ear spray is Otomize®. It contains several ingredients – dexamethasone, neomycin and acetic acid. Together, these ingredients relieve inflammation, infection, itching and pain. Otomize® spray is only available on prescription. It can be prescribed for adults and for children over 2 years of age.
To make sure that this is the right treatment for you, before you start using the spray please make sure that your doctor/prescriber knows:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have a perforated eardrum, or if you have a grommet fitted in your ear.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine.
- You may get a slight feeling of burning or stinging when you first start using the spray. This is usually mild and soon passes.
- If you get a rash or if you notice any other symptoms which you think may be due to the spray, please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- Occasionally people can have a mild allergic reaction to the preservative in the spray.
See patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects.
Neomycin Sulfate 0.5% w/w (3250 IU/ml), Dexamethasone 0.1% w/w, Glacial Acetic Acid 2.0% w/w
Excipient(s) with known effect:
Includes methyl hydroxybenzoate, propyl hydroxybenzoate and stearyl alcohol
See patient information leaflet for a full list of ingredients.