What are Niquitin Pre-Quit Clear 21mg Patches?
Niquitin Pre-Quit Patches are a treatment that is intended for people who are looking to quit smoking. These Pre-Quit Patches are a treatment that will work to reduce the cravings and the number of cigarettes that are used. This is a treatment known as Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). NRT works by replacement the nicotine inhaled by a cigarette with a healthier option, and over time, will help to quit smoking. These Pre-Quit Patches are not intended to replace cigarettes completely; they are a first step in reducing the number of cigarettes used.
What causes nicotine addiction?
An addiction to nicotine is the result of smoking cigarettes over a period of time. This happens as a result of increased tobacco intake which contains nicotine. When nicotine gets to the brain, it causes the release of dopamine which is a neurotransmitter. A neurotransmitter is a chemical that can control functions in the body. Dopamine controls mood and behaviours and when released by the body, can improve the mood and give the feeling of pleasure. The increase in dopamine will lead to a reliance on it and cause cravings as a result. Cravings can be triggered by routines, behaviours, as well as certain actions. Knowing what can trigger your cravings can be a help when it comes to quitting smoking.
Who are these patches suitable for?
These patches are suitable to be used by adults aged 18 and over only. They should not be used by anyone who is allergic to nicotine. If any of the following apply to you, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist:
- Are diabetic
- Ever experienced a seizure
- Have serious kidney or liver problems
- Have an overactive thyroid gland or adrenal gland tumour
- Have had an allergic reaction in the past from NRT
- Have allergic eczema or dermatitis
- Have had a stomach ulcer
- In hospital because of a heart attack, heart problems, or a stroke
You should also consult a professional for advice if you are currently using any other form of medication.
Uses / Instructions
For smokers of 10 or more a day.
- Apply a single patch a day for 2-4 weeks while smoking cigarettes as and when needed. Once this treatment is complete, move onto the Step 1 Niquitin Patches.
- When applying a patch, ensure that the area of skin is clean, dry, and hairless.
- Apply the patch by making sure that the sticky side of the patch is placed onto the skin without it touching anywhere else.
- After applying a patch, make sure to wash your hands.
- Do not reuse the same area of skin for a patch for at least 7 days.
- Replace a patch every 24 hours.
- If a patch falls off, replace the patch and continue as normal, though change the area where the patch is placed.
- Requires willpower.
- Store below 30°C.
- Dispose of patch carefully then wash hands with water only, as instructed in the leaflet.
Hazards and Cautions
Do not use:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed in the leaflet.
- If you are a non-smoker, an occasional smoker or under 18 years old.
Consult a Healthcare Professional:
If you have or recently had heart problems
- If you have serious liver or kidney disease, uncontrolled overactive thyroid gland or phaeochromocytoma
- Before use if you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- If you get a persistent skin reaction, remove the patch and tell your doctor
- If you have not been able to cut down your cigarettes after 4 weeks of using the patches
Like with many types of medication, there is a chance of side effects. Side effects can also occur as a result of stopping smoking, which includes:
- A headache
- Sleep disturbances
You can also get side effects as a result of the sticking site and an allergic reaction. If you experience an increased heart rate, stop using these patches and reduce the dosage. Other potential side effects include:
- Heart palpitations
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling sick
- Stomach pains
- Dry mouth
- Joint or muscle pains
- Skin redness and itching
Each patch contains 114 mg nicotine and delivers 21 mg nicotine in 24 hours.