What is Calprofen?
Calprofen is a liquid medicine which can help to ease pain and reduce fever in children. It’s ideal for little ones aged 3 months and older, helping to make them feel more comfortable if they’re suffering with teething pain, headaches, cold symptoms, and many other ailments. Calprofen comes in easy to use sachets, which help you to measure the right dose for your child.
What kinds of pain can this medication be used for?
Calprofen can be used to ease lots of different kinds of pain in children aged 3 months and over, including:
- Teething pain
- Sore throat
- Fever or high temperature
- Muscular aches and pains
- Symptoms of cold and flu
- Post-immunisation fever
How does this medicine work to ease my child’s pain?
Each 5ml dose of Calprofen contains 100mg of the active ingredient ibuprofen, which is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug or NSAID. This means that this medicine works not only as a painkiller, but can help to reduce fever and inflammation at the same time, making it the perfect remedy for many different types of pain.
Can I give this product to my child if they are taking other painkillers?
Calprofen can be taken at the same time as some other painkillers, such as paracetamol, as long as you follow the instructions for each separate product carefully. However, you should not use this medicine at the same time as other NSAID painkillers, such as aspirin, which have a daily dose of more than 75mg. If you are not sure whether you can use two painkillers together, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist.
Uses / Instructions
How to prepare
- Massage the sachet well to mix the contents before use.
- Each sachet contains 5ml of medicine, any unused medicine which remains in an open sachet should be discarded.
- Open the sachet and squeeze the required amount onto the measuring spoon provided, use the spoon to give the dose to your child.
- The spoon has two ends, a larger end which measures 5ml doses and a smaller end which measures 2.5ml doses.
- Do not overfill the spoon and clean well after each use.
- The amount of Calprofen you should give to your child for each dose changes depending on their age and what you wish to treat.
- Each sachet contains a 5ml dose, but you may need to use a 2.5ml dose. In this case, measure out half of the sachet onto the smaller side of the measuring spoon provided.
If you are using this product to relieve pain and fever, give the following doses:
3 – 6 months (if the child weighs more than 5kg or 11lbs):
Give 2.5ml dose (half a sachet) 3 times a day Do not use for more than 24 hours.
6 months – 1 year:
Give 2.5ml dose (half a sachet) 3 times a day
1 – 2 years:
Give 2.5ml dose (half a sachet) 3 – 4 times a day
3 – 7 years:
Give 5ml dose 3 – 4 times a day
8 – 12 years:
Give 10ml (2 x 5ml sachets) dose 3 – 4 times a day
Leave at least 4 hours between each dose.
Treat post-immunisation fever in babies and children aged over 3 months who weigh more than 5kg
- Give a 2.5ml dose (half a sachet) up to twice a day.
- Give the second dose at least 6 hours after the first dose.
- Do not give more than 2 doses in a 24-hour period.
The active ingredient is:
Ibuprofen 100 mg per 5 ml.
Other ingredients are:
Glycerol (E422), xanthan gum, maltitol (E965), polysorbate 80, saccharin sodium (E954), citric acid monohydrate, sodium methylhydroxybenzoate
(E219), sodium propylhydroxybenzoate (E217), purified water.The flavouring is strawberry (containing propylene glycol (E1520) and ethanol).