Amlodipine contains the active substance amlodipine which belongs to a group of medicines called calcium antagonists.
Amlodipine is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or a certain type of chest pain called angina, a rare form of which is Prinzmetal’s or variant angina. In patients with high blood pressure this medicine works by relaxing blood vessels, so that blood passes through them more easily. In patients with angina Amlodipine works by improving blood supply to the heart muscle which then receives more oxygen and as a result chest pain is prevented. This medicine does not provide immediate relief of chest pain from angina.
Uses / Instructions
The recommended initial dose is Amlodipine 5 mg once daily. The dose can be increased to Amlodipine 10 mg once daily
Take as per directions of your GP.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Amlodipine.
You should inform your doctor if you have or have had any of the following conditions:
• Recent heart attack
• Heart failure
• Severe increase in blood pressure (Hypertensive crisis)
• Liver disease
• You are elderly and your dose needs to be increased
Very common: may affect more than 1 in 10 people
• Oedema (fluid retention)
The following common side effects have been reported. If any of these cause you problems or if they last for more than one week, you should contact your doctor.
Common: may affect up to 1 in 10 people
• Headache, dizziness, sleepiness (especially at the beginning of treatment)
• Palpitations (awareness of your heart beat), flushing
• Abdominal pain, feeling sick (nausea)
• Altered bowel habits, diarrhoea, constipation, indigestion
• Tiredness, weakness
• Visual disturbances, double vision
• Muscle cramps
• Ankle swelling
Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people
• Mood changes, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness
• Trembling, taste abnormalities, fainting
• Numbness or tingling sensation in your limbs, loss of pain sensation
• Ringing in the ears
• Low blood pressure
• Sneezing/running nose caused by inflammation of the lining of the nose (rhinitis)
• Dry mouth, vomiting (being sick)
• Hair loss, increased sweating, itchy skin, red patches on skin, skin discolouration
• Disorder in passing urine, increased need to urinate at night, increased number of times of passing urine
• Inability to obtain an erection; discomfort or enlargement of the breasts in men
• Pain, feeling unwell
• Joint or muscle pain, back pain
• Weight increase or decrease
See patient information leaflet for more detaills
The active substance is amlodipine.
For a list of the other ingredients see the patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different brands have different other side effects.